Former Greek priest indicted on more charges
BANGOR, Maine (NEWS CENTER) — A former Greek Orthodox priest was indicted on additional charges Tuesday.
Fifty-two-year-old Adam Metropolous was indicted on four counts of sexual abuse of a minor, possession of sexually explicit material, and violation of privacy by a Penobscot County grand jury.
Deputy District Attorney Michael Roberts said the sexual abuse charges are based on one young boy. The violation of privacy goes back to the original charge after a young woman staying in the Metropolous home told police the priest was videotaping her in the shower. Police said the young woman took the camera and left Metropolous’s home with her father. Her father went to police to report the incident.
Shortly after his initial arrest in September during an interview with Bangor detectives Metropolous admitted to inappropriately touching two boys and filming two women staying in his home.
According to Roberts, detectives interviewed both boys after the confession. One told them he had been abused by Metropolous on multiple occasions. The other boy denied it.
Deputy District Attorney Michael Roberts said, “I can only guess what the impact on the boys will be going forward. Again, this is somebody who they have put their faith in, their religious faith and their religious life into, who has abused them and it might turn them away from their religious life.”
Roberts said Metropolous told police both boys were asleep during the assault therefore it is possible the second victim had no idea.
Deputy District Attorney Michael Roberts said, “These cases are particularly troubling. Mr. Metropolous was a priest and that puts him in a substantial role of power and of trust over minor victims. Unfortunately, he abused that and I think in that abuse he violates the victims and he violates the entire community, the entire church.”
Metropoulos has remained in jail since his arrest unable to make the $100,000 cash bail. This is not the first time Metropoulos has been charged with a sex crime. In 1983, while living in Michigan he was convicted of sexual assault involving a boy.
Father Metropolous has been suspended from the Greek Orthodox Archdicoese of America indefinitely. He will have to go through their ecclesiastical court to decide his status in the church.
The Greek Archdiocese says it conducted a criminal background check on Father Metropolouos only in the states of Maine and Massachusetts when he was ordained in 2000, so the Michigan conviction did not show up. They have since switched to a national background check.