Pokrov maintains lists of
- Orthodox Christians and Eastern Rite Catholics who have been convicted of crimes which caused or were likely to cause injury to another person. We include clergy crimes which evidence sexual misconduct. (Sexual misconduct is a disregard for the moral teachings of Orthodoxy and Catholicism on sexuality.);
- Orthodox Christians and Eastern Rite Catholics who have been sanctioned by their church for injuring another person. We include clergy discipline for sexual misconduct;
- Orthodox Christians and Eastern Rite Catholics who have been sued for injuring another person. We include suits for clergy sexual misconduct;
- Orthodox Christians and Eastern Rite Catholics who have been publicly accused of injuring another person. We also include public allegations of clergy engaged in sexual misconduct; and
- People who are on the site, but do not fall into any of the 4 categories listed above, are included in our list of all persons. Other individuals on the site are people advocating for survivors, victims, people who are mentioned in articles on the site, etc. Why these individuals have a place on the site can be discovered by the text on his/her page and/or by the items linked to his/her name.
The injured include those who were victimized as adults, as well as those who were victimized children. While most of the injuries arise from sexual abuse, other types of harm – for example, physical abuse — are included as well.
The accused include lay men and women, as well as clergy.
We do not distinguish among the wide range of churches which call themselves Orthodox or Eastern Rite Catholic. Please review each file to for the specifics of each case.
Our lists have no statistical significance, as they are not generated from reports made by the churches themselves. They do serve to remind survivors of abuse that they are not alone. They also remind those attending Orthodox or Eastern Rite churches to use the same caution that they would in any other public venue.